MOU-RBA Archives

April 2010

From:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:11:08 -0600
Hi everyone,
  Thanks to an e-mail from Hap Huber yesterday, Forest Strnad and I took another crack at the Carver Co. Cinnamon Teal today and found the bird in the exact spot described by Hap, and in a previous post by Fr. Tom Margevicius from Monday. The spot described is on the north side of the farmhouse in a drainage ditch on the west side of the road. The ditch runs east/west. There is a single tree on the left side of the ditch and several Blue-winged Teal were lounging underneath, along with the male Cinnamon Teal. We viewed the bird for about 15 - 20 minutes, and were able to see it at rest, swimming, and briefly in flight. The bird would sit for a time, preening and then would swim and forage, not staying still for too long. A scope is a must. It was approximately 5:15 pm when we first saw the duck. Light wasn't great, but when the bird was moving and turning to and fro, one could make out the details in the sunshine.

Thanks to Hap Huber, John Cyrus & Fr. Tom! You guys were of huge help!

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey
Faribault, MN