LISTSERV Archives

TAMIL-T Home

TAMIL-T  May 2010

TAMIL-T May 2010

http://www.carla.umn.edu/lctl/db/index.php -- announcing the updated & upgraded LCTL database

Louis Janus <[log in to unmask]>

Tamil language teachers' list <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 May 2010 08:39:31 -0500

The LCTL project (sponsor of these teachers mailing lists) is happy
to announce that the LCTL database of Less Commonly Taught Languages
course offerings in North America has been upgraded to a new more
reliable server and a new platform.

We are happy to continue maintaining the database, which has been a
part of CARLA since 1993 (remember Gopher?).

Not only have we made  technical upgrades, we now have more fields
that people can search on when they want to locate courses.  In
addition to the standard searchable items (language, state,
institution, k-12, summer, post-secondary), we have added more search
here,  you can  search for levels offered, availability, emphasis or
focus of the course, degrees offered by the relevant  department,
whether there is a tightly integrated study abroad component, if the
institution is part of a consortium like CIC, The U of California
consortium, the Five Colleges in Massachusetts. Fields now have
expanded 'help' explanations.

The value of this database certainly depends on its completeness and
accuracy. You are urged to look at the courses you know about or are
involved in, and  submit updates, corrections or deletions. The top
of every page which gives details about a course, offers a link to
the correction page and an option to check if the course no longer is
being offered. After you submit new details, you will  receive an
email confirmation. As soon as the project verifies the submission,
we will add it to the available records.

For those interested in statistics, we currently have
9,287 college/university listings (from Acholi to Zulu)
2,853  listings k-12 for LCTLs
254 distance ed offerings
237 summer 2010 courses

I hope you contact me with comments, questions or suggestions.

Louis Janus

Have a look: http://www.carla.umn.edu/lctl/db/index.php

--
Louis Janus
  Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTL) Project