]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TAMIL-T Home

TAMIL-T  June 2010

TAMIL-T June 2010

seeking LCTL students for survey on study abroad.

Louis Janus <[log in to unmask]>

Tamil language teachers' list <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:57:43 -0500

Forwarded note from Okim Kang, Northern Arizona University <[log in to unmask]>

A repeat message, but Okim Kang reports that she is **still** looking
for students willing to take the survey.

I am looking for students who are/will be studying less frequently
taught languages such as Thai, Swahili, Hindi, Vietnamese, Tamil,
Persian, Malay, Indonesian, Afrikaans, etc. (but perhaps not Spanish,
Italian, French, or German).  I'm hoping that you can introduce my
research project to your students who go abroad to study any of those
languages because I assume that your LCTL project may have access to
those students.  I am currently conducting a project supported by the
TOEFL Board Awards from Educational Testing Service. The project seeks
to investigate the best point in foreign language study for oversea
immersion and the language learning motivations of students who study
less frequently taught languages abroad versus more frequently taught
languages abroad.

When students agree to participate, they will be asked to complete
online surveys prior to departure (pre-survey) and again after their
return (post-survey). Each of the survey may take 15-30 minutes to
compete. Upon the completion of both the pre- and post- surveys,
students will be compensated with $15. If they like, they can
participate in online interviews for 15 minutes through Gmail Chat or
AOL. As for this online interview, students will be compensated with
additional $15. Students who have registered for this 2010 summer,
fall 2010, or spring 2011 can participate.

Your support will be truly beneficial for this project because it is
easy to find students who sign up for Spanish and French study abroad
programs, but very difficult to find students who sign up for Swahili
or Malay, for example.  If you think that your students may be
interested in participation or have any questions about the project,
please have them email me at [log in to unmask] or call me at
928.523.2059.  This project has been reviewed and approved by the
Northern Arizona University Institutional Review Board (IRB) for the
Protection of Human Subjects in Research. I look forward to your
response. Thank you very much for support.

Sincerely,
Okim Kang

Okim Kang, Ph.D
Assistant Professor
Department of English (TESL/Applied Linguistics)
Northern Arizona University
Phone: 928.523.2059; fax: 928.523.7074