MOU-RBA Archives

August 2010

From:
Cameron Rutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cameron Rutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:53:15 -0600
Again, from my perch atop an apartment building in Lakeside, I watched
an impressive passerine flight this morning, although it was
overwhelmingly dominated by a single species.  Paul Dolan-Linne and
Josh Bednar helped me count waxwings from sunrise until nearly 10:00
AM this morning, at which point the onslaught had predictably petered
out.  When the final counts were in, we had accumulated a surprising
3,291 Cedar Waxwings, the second-highest southbound flight on-record
for the state (the largest, 3,882 on 17 Sep 1985 at Lakewood Pumping
Station).  Aside from waxwings, few other birds were moving in notable
figures, although the morning did feature the best American Goldfinch
flight of the fall so far.  Only those identified flyovers, presumably
migrating, are listed below:

Blue-winged Teal     3
Common Nighthawk     2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird     1
Belted Kingfisher     1
Eastern Kingbird     21
Blue Jay     60
Common Raven     1
Purple Martin     3
European Starling     3
Cedar Waxwing     3291
Northern Waterthrush     1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak     5
Bobolink     6
Red-winged Blackbird     4
Common Grackle     16
American Goldfinch     116

From late morning to early afternoon, I hiked about four miles of
beach and jetty real estate at Park Point, turning up the following
shorebird figures.  The highlight was certainly a single, obliging
Buff-breasted Sandpiper (closer to Lafayette Park than Park Point).

Semipalmated Plover     1
Spotted Sandpiper     6
Ruddy Turnstone     1     (juvenile)
Sanderling     17
Semipalmated Sandpiper     4
Least Sandpiper     1
Baird's Sandpiper     15      (1 molting adult, the rest juveniles)
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER     1     (juvenile)

      Good Birding,
          Cameron Rutt
          Duluth,
          St. Louis County