MOU-RBA Archives

August 2010

From:
Cameron Rutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cameron Rutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 18:32:44 -0600
Starting in the morning fog at Park Point Recreation Area, I slowly
meandered my way about the small woodlots and clumps of habitat.  The
area was generally quite active, especially in the vicinity of the
sand volleyball courts.  After a few hours, I met up with Peder
Svingen and the two of us continued counting migrants, mostly warblers
and flycatchers, working our way out towards the end of Minnesota
Point.  The final tally was an even 20 warbler species for the day,
with good numbers of Empidonax flycatchers also in attendance
(primarily Leasts).  The most notable warbler was the curious
abundance of Wilson's Warblers, with 17 found throughout the day (15
from the recreation area out towards the point).

On the beach hike back from Minnesota Point, we stumbled on a pair of
juvenile Buff-breasted Sandpipers near the airport, loosely
associating with both Baird's and Semipalmated Sandpipers.  The other
surprise of the day was the half-dozen Olive-sided Flycatchers around
Duluth.  Although only two were at Park Point, I added another four at
Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve's Skyline Parkway, including three visible
at once!

eBird highlights from around Park Point:

Observation date:     8/21/10
Number of species:     64

Semipalmated Plover     6
Spotted Sandpiper     8
Solitary Sandpiper     1
Semipalmated Sandpiper     8
Baird's Sandpiper     4
Pectoral Sandpiper     2
Buff-breasted Sandpiper     2
Olive-sided Flycatcher     2
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher     2
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's)     2
Least Flycatcher     16
Yellow-throated Vireo     1
Philadelphia Vireo     1
Red-eyed Vireo     7
Veery     1
Swainson's Thrush     1
Scarlet Tanager     1

Golden-winged Warbler     1     female-type
Tennessee Warbler     17
Nashville Warbler     49
Northern Parula     1
Yellow Warbler     6