MOU-RBA Archives

September 2010

From:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:28:04 -0600
Before working at Hawk Ridge today, I visited Wisconsin Point early this
morning, and had a wonderful time even throughout the on-and-off rain. The
highlight was seeing an adult (light) PARASITIC JAEGER. The jaeger dove at
distant gulls for several minutes straight. Three SANDERLINGS were observed
as well as three gorgeous little BONAPARTE'S GULLS. At least 1500
near-and-far RING-BILLED GULLS were observed, with at least 10 HERRING GULLS
that were identified as they flew overhead, as well as observing them
sitting on shore. Local immature BALD EAGLES were present, and while
scanning the horizon, a RED-BREASTED MERGANSER flew through my view.

*Not sure if this is early or not, but yesterday I heard a LAPLAND LONGSPUR
fly overhead as I pulled up to the ridge.

Here is a link to my Hawk Ridge photos from this fall. I hope you enjoy
them!
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/hawk_ridge_2010

Here is are the raptor numbers that Hawk Ridge has seen this fall:
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=288

If you're thinking about taking a vacation up in the northwoods, and want to
see migrating raptors at one of North America's most amazing hawkwatching
sites, this weekend might just hit the spot! Hawk Weekend is this weekend at
Hawk Ridge! As of right now, the weather looks fantastic for impressive
flights of raptors :) This link can provide more information, if you're
interested...
http://hawkridge.org/events/hawkweekend.html

Good birding & hawkwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

NATURALLY AVIAN - Guided bird hikes and bird photography
www.pbase.com/birdfedr

Count Interpreter
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory
P.O. Box 3006