MOU-RBA Archives

October 2010

From:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 22:17:23 -0600
This morning I birdwatched at Wisconsin Point (lot 1), and got some great
views of the adult LONG-TAILED JAEGER, as well as (from what I can ID) a
juvenile POMARINE JAEGER. One lone SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER made its way along
the shore at Wisconsin Point, and the little guy had a hurt leg (it flew
fine, but had a slightly-gimpy, one-legged bounce). Hopefully it'll be able
to catch up with the rest of its buddies.

Hawk Ridge had two owl sightings today... Karl spotted a NORTHERN HAWK OWL a
little before 9:00am this morning (Debbie mentioned this sighting earlier
today). I didn't arrive at the ridge until just before 10:00am and didn't
get to see the hawk owl, however we did have a fly-over SHORT-EARED OWL
later on in the day!

Here is my list from birdwatching at Wisconsin Point this morning:

Northern Pintail     7
Redhead     3
Bufflehead     2
Double-crested Cormorant     1
Bald Eagle     2
Semipalmated Plover     1
Ring-billed Gull     800
Herring Gull     2
Pomarine Jaeger     1
Long-tailed Jaeger     1
American Robin     1
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)     1
Lapland Longspur     1

Long-tailed Jaeger (adult):
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129451106
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129451105
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129451107

Pomarine Jaeger (juvenile) chasing Long-tailed Jaeger (adult):
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129451104

Pomarine Jaeger (juvenile)... my closest shot so far:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129451108

I have many photos coming from this morning. I am currently working on some
really cool rapid-fire shots of the Parasitic Jaeger "dogfighting" a
Ring-billed Gull, which includes sharp banking, fully extended primaries,
biting at a gulls' leg, and overall flight/pursuit. I will let you know when
they're up!

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

NATURALLY AVIAN - Bird photography and guided bird hikes
www.pbase.com/birdfedr

Count Interpreter
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory
P.O. Box 3006