]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  October 2010

MOU-RBA October 2010

[mou-net] LONG-TAILED JAEGER (photos) & more - WI Point (Superior, WI)

Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>

Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Oct 2010 19:18:36 -0600

This morning I birdwatched from just before sunrise until about 9:00am at
Wisconsin Point (lot 1). I observed an immature Bald Eagle trying to
chase/pursue a distant jaeger, and at times this jaeger turned and seemed to
pursue the Bald Eagle briefly. What a unique sight to see. Also, my good
friend Mike Furtman met up with me at Wisconsin Point this morning. When I
came home from the ridge this afternoon, I was going through photos, and
realized that I had photographed my lifer LONG-TAILED JAEGER (the jaeger in
the jaeger/eagle chase)!

This morning's sightings at Wisconsin Point:
Mallard 9
Green-winged Teal 3
Greater/Lesser Scaup 7
Bald Eagle 2
Bonaparte's Gull 2
Ring-billed Gull 1000
Herring Gull 3
Parasitic Jaeger 1
Long-tailed Jaeger 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
American Crow 2
Brown Creeper 1
Lapland Longspur 4

LONG-TAILED JAEGER
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422888
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422889

LONG-TAILED JAEGER pursuing Ring-billed Gull (close up):
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422890
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422891

Parasitic Jaeger:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422894
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422895
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422896

Darker Ring-billed Gull? (initial thought was California Gull, but then I
thought Ring-billed due to small bill, compact head, and overall body size)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422857
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422863
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422860

Here are my favorite Ring-billed Gull photos from this morning. Gulls are so
much fun to photograph!
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422897
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422844
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422846
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422898
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422841
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422838
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422899
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/129422838

To view the rest of the photos from Wisconsin Point (this fall), including
all three jaeger species, go to:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/wisconsin_point_2010

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

NATURALLY AVIAN - Bird photography and guided bird hikes
www.pbase.com/birdfedr

Count Interpreter
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory
P.O. Box 3006