MOU-RBA Archives

November 2010

From:
William Marengo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Marengo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 18:15:58 -0600
With limited time this evening I was able to relocate the Surf Scoter
originally reported by John Cyrus. It was located on the south-east part of
Lake Waconia. I could not find any other Black Scoters.

I also saw nearly 70 Loons but all we too distant and light conditions too
poor to determine if there were any other than Common Loons.

Also noteworthy was probably the largest concentration of gulls I've ever
seen on this lake. When I left at 6:15pm there were easily over 2,000 gulls
present with more streaming in to roost. Most were Ring-billed but many
Bonparte's and at least one Franklin's was present. This would be a good
time & place to look for unusual gulls if one has the time.

Please note that while there are places to scan the lake from the south-east
side, please be aware of the many "No Parking" areas. Also, the park on the
south-east side requires a Carver County Parks permit sticker (daily or
annual).  This area was twice patrolled by the Carver County Sherriff while
I was here this evening.

Regards. . . . .