MOU-RBA Archives

March 2011

From:
Dennis and Barbara Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis and Barbara Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2011 20:02:12 -0600
Several birders looked for the nutcracker today without success.  With the
high winds yesterday we only know of 2 folks who looked for the bird then,
without success, and they didn't do so till after noon. Today the area was
covered off and on from 8 or so till around 2. There is an active well
stocked group of feeders about 500 yards from the trees where the nutcracker
was seen two days ago. The folks at that house report that they have never
seen the nutcracker. They seem well enough versed in identification that
the birder who talked to them feels they would take a very good look at
anything other than their regulars. Among their many species were redpolls
and Purple Finches.

Elsewhere in the area were several thousand Canada Geese, a few Cackling
Geese, and a good assortment of migrating ducks. Several Rough-legged Hawks
were still in the area, along with many red-tails, and a migrating Peregrine
Falcon. The Townsends Solitaire was still at the Hantho Beach WMA.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
Shorewood, MN