MOU-RBA Archives

April 2011

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
John Hockema <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:47:29 -0600
Monday, April 18, 2011

Fillmore County
Preston Township
SW Qt. Section 20
43.6170 north, 92.0836 west

Chris Hockema and I discovered what we believe to be a 1st year White-winged Scoter around 1:30 pm.  The bird was photographed by Gary Erickson, Bob Ekblad, and Art Overcott.  The scoter was still present at 4:09 pm when we left the area.  It is an oddly plumaged bird and I have sent photographs to others in hopes of receiving more expert opinion.  This would represent a first county record.

My thanks to Gary, Bob, Art, and to Chuck Krulas for taking the time to come down and see this stange-looking scoter.  Art Overcott sent me a wonderful photo and provided the above directions and coordinates.  Thanks to Ray Potthoff for his post.

John Hockema
Rochester, MN