MOU-RBA Archives

May 2011

From:
Diana Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diana Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 08:56:11 -0600
A Bell's Vireo has returned to the usual spot along the SW side of Lake Nokomis's "lagoon". It was singing this morning at ~7:45. With many of the leaves not quite out, it's a great time to get nice views of it.

If you're not familiar with this species, be aware that there are also several warbling vireos in the same cluster of poplars as the Bell's Vireo. Listen for its distinctive song ("D'jacatchthatbigstorm'sapproaching?Watchoutit'ssevere!" -- mnemonic courtesy of Julian Sellers!)

Location: Along the pedestrian path that circles Lake Nokomis, on the southwest side of the "lagoon" portion of Lake Nokomis (west side of Cedar Ave.) The bird sings from a cluster of poplar trees just south of a bench overlooking the lagoon that has its first seat rung broken.

Also, for three out of four mornings there has been an American Bittern at the little marsh at the SE end of Lake Hiawatha. It was present this morning, in the open along the mowed grass/cattail line, at 6:45 am.

I have not posted this bird because I did not want it flushed. If you'd like to see it, please approach the marsh and marsh footpath slowly and quietly and I'd appreciate it if you "left this bird as you found it." I posted a photo of it on 5/13 on the MOU Showcase (photo taken without flushing the bird).

The earlier in the morning the better your odds of seeing the bittern.

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis