MOU-RBA Archives

May 2011

From:
Jeanie Joppru <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeanie Joppru <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 09:23:42 -0600
Shelley Steva and I found a Whimbrel in northern Kittson County during the
course of a rather bizarre Big Day on Memorial Day. We found the bird on a
stubble field from which the water had just receded along US 75 between St.
Vincent and Humboldt. It was the only bird of any kind there and there were
only small patches of wet mud in the surrounding stubbly field. While we
were taking notes and setting up to take a photo, the bird flew to the
north, and we were unable to locate it again. It may or may not be still in
the area, as we were east of the railway tracks, and the bird was flying
low, so we were unable to track its progress. I climbed up to the tracks,
but could not find it by scanning the area. I presume it kept going.

Other species seen during the day during which we experienced periods of
drizzle, heavy rain, and constant wind of over 20 mph, included a first year
Herring Gull on the road near Humboldt, and a Caspian Tern at a gravel pit
south of Lake Bronson. Total tally for the Big Day was 97 species and
missing many common species. We started at Larry Wilebski's place where we
found so much water that we were unable to walk very much of his property,
due to a beaver dam that flooded the property. That has since been taken
care of, but needless to say, the water is slow to go down due to the very
wet conditions of the past few days. If you plan a trip there, bring BOOTS!

It should be interesting to get the BBS's in this year. I go back to work
tomorrow, so that may bring improving weather.....
Jeanie

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN