MOU-RBA Archives

May 2011

From:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2011 23:48:27 -0600
Today I birded part of the length of Park Point with birding friends Katie
Brey and Annmarie Geniusz. We came across several Caspian Terns overhead,
and distant (well out over the lake) Common Terns. A total of 2
Yellow-rumped Warblers, 1 Hairy Woodpecker, and several Black-capped
Chickadees were observed today. Song Sparrows and Chipping Sparrows were the
most common inland birds today on the wind-protected side of the point, and
the highlight by far was finding an out-in-the-open NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD
sitting on top of the property fence, near the easternmost section of Park
Point where the main walking trail begins to turn into boardwalk (east end
of the airport). We watched the bird for at least 10 minutes! It was quite a
fun & rare find for the day :-) Photos were taken at distance, and the heat
waves contributed to the slight shimmy in the picture.

Northern Mockingbird:
http://www.pbase.com/image/134751221
http://www.pbase.com/image/134751224
http://www.pbase.com/image/134751226

Tamarack along Park Point, beginning to flower:
http://www.pbase.com/image/134751228

Good birdwatching, and good luck if you go out to check for the Mockingbird!
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN*