MOU-RBA Archives

May 2011

From:
Nathan Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathan Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 21:58:12 -0600
                         Today Pete and Kathy Sufka, my
parents, and I went to Big Stone and Lac Qui Parle counties. Are highlights for
the trip were a Sprague’s pipit and Ferruginous Hawk for the day. The Pipit was
seen on 191st Avenue about a quarter mile south from Laq Qui Parle
Highway 15 ( highway fifteen is the road that is right beside of Plover
Prairie). Basically go down fifteen heading east from highway 75. Once you hit
the plover prairie sign take a right. Go about a quarter mile down and the
pipit was seen on both sides of the street. It was alternating from a tree to an
agriculture field (Unfortunately the pictures did not turn out because of a not
so powerful lens). The Ferruginous Hawk was seen soaring over the trail that
starts at the intersection of Lac Qui Parle county highways of 40 and 15. This
intersection is south of the Big Stone NWR HQ about two miles. We have previously
reported a Ferruginous at this location in the past few years. Other birds of
note were five Greater White-fronted Geese as well as one Snow seen at Salt
Lake. Shore birding was very bad for the day ending up with six species on the
day. However all together great trip!

Great Birding to all,
Nathan Schirmacher

Princeton,MN