MOU-RBA Archives

May 2011

From:
Dedrick Benz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dedrick Benz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 21:45:45 -0600
I arrived at the spot in Le Sueur County at approximately 7:10 PM.  At about 7:30 PM all the gulls (approx. 30 Bonaparte's & the Laughing) got up, and it was great to see them all in flight and note the larger size and darker mantle of the Laughing.  However, all the Bonaparte's left the area.  The Laughing landed again, and spent another 10 minutes or so on the water.  Troy Flicek and I then watched as the Laughing Gull flew high and to the east, then a little north, then straight east again, until it was out of sight.  I think there is a good chance that it is simply roosting on one of the larger lakes nearby, and judging by some success in fishing, it may return to the same spot tomorrow.  Who knows.

Dedrick Benz
Winona, MN