MOU-RBA Archives

May 2011

From:
William Marengo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Marengo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 08:34:53 -0600
I spent May 12-16 birding in Lyon and Murray counties. Despite generally
abysmal birding conditions Thursday through Saturday (strong and steady
northerly winds, rain and cold temperatures) there are some highlights to
report:

An out-of-range Louisiana Watherthrush is on territory at Camden State Park.
The bird is located at the "primitive group camp". It was here on May 13-14.

A White-faced and two other Ibis were seen at the Black Rush WPA on May 13,
14 and 16.  The three Ibis were visible Saturday feeding along the
north-south road that bisects the marsh allowing positive identification of
one of the birds. Viewing conditions were poor on Saturday and the other two
were left unidentified. Otherwise, on the other days, they were seen flying
around the marsh on several occasions.

An out-of-range Blue-winged Warbler was in the lower campground of Camden
State park on May 13.

A Snowy Egret was seen on Monday, May 16 at Buffalo Lake in northeastern
Murray county.

As far as shorebirds go, there is very little to report. Shorebird numbers
and diversity are both low. Looking at my notes form the past five days, I
only recorded 14 species in what is typically a shorebird-rich part of the
state at this time of year.

Regards,,,