MOU-RBA Archives

May 2011

From:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 10:34:05 -0600
I've received the following message, with specific guidelines from one
of the people who monitor the whereabouts of the Whooping Cranes.  To
many of you, these must be well-known. To me, the specifics were new,
and maybe that would be so for others. I originally tried reporting
the birds to the RBA, thinking that the safest, but the post would not
go through, so I went to the regular list-serves.( Perhaps it was
rejected precisely so it would not be entered in the general
postings.)
It had never occurred to me in my ignorance that the birds might be on
something other than a very temporary foraging expedition. I fully
expected them to be gone within a day, off back to Necedah. If the
birds are choosing to stick around that vulnerable location, my
posting may have caused them safety problems, which I regret. I can
only hope others are more knowledgeable than I was, and will follow
the guidelines provided (Linda Whyte):

"My name is Eva Szyszkoski and I work for the International Crane
Foundation as part of the Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership’s
Monitoring and Management Team.  We are responsible for monitoring the
Whooping Cranes in the Eastern Migratory Population (EMP).  We
received your report of the two cranes you spotted near Dennison in
Rice County, MN on 21 May.

Thank you for your report! These two birds are both juvenile males,
#’s 1-10 and 8-10.  They apparently arrived at this location in Rice
County shortly before you reported them.  They had previously been at
the Necedah NWR in Wisconsin and at a location in Goodhue County, MN.
It sounds as though these birds are in a very visible location as we
have been getting numerous reports on them.  Hopefully they stay out
of trouble.  One of our major concerns with the birds in the EMP
(especially young ones) is the possibility that they will become
habituated to people.  This is a concern not only for their own safety
and well-being, but also for the safety of the public.

We ask that observers keep the following guidelines in mind when
viewing a Whooping Crane:

WCEP (the Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership) asks anyone who
encounters a whooping crane in the wild to please give it the respect
and distance it needs. Do not approach birds on foot within 600 feet;
remain in your vehicle; do not approach in a vehicle within 600 feet
or, if on a public road, within 300 feet. Also, please remain
concealed and do not speak loudly enough that the bird can hear you.
Finally, do not trespass on private property in an attempt to view
whooping cranes.  Also, please do not report the bird on a birding
list or to the media, to keep the amount of attention it receives to a
minimum."