MOU-RBA Archives

June 2011

From:
Molly Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Molly Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:32:39 -0600
Ah but the midwest is important. We have many forested and shoreline regions. We along the North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota are concerned. Recent studies have shown a large abundance of raptors and songbirds fly over and use this shoreline. If you are not familiar with the North Shore, it is actually a forested ridgeline that rises to over 1200 feet elevation within a mile or two of the lake.  great updrafts.  Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory is on a ridge over Duluth, MN.Also, there are regions of the midwest where prairie chickens nest and it has been shown that the birds will not nest in fields with wind towers.  This issue is much more complicated than the wind power advocates let on.  Bats are also affected by wind turbines.Just my two cents.Molly ThompsonDuluth, MN