]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  June 2011

MOU-RBA June 2011

Re: [mou-net] FW: [mou-net] Golden Eagles harmed by wind turbines

"Bernard P. Friel" <[log in to unmask]>

Bernard P. Friel

Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:06:22 -0600

     As a member of the MOU (since 1967) I believe that if there is to be a
discussion of the proposed cell tower at Ely, setting forth accurate facts
seems fundamental.
     The proposed tower will be 450 feet tall on a ridge that will place it
approximately 600 feet above the surrounding landscape and waterways. Tower=
higher than 199 feet above ground level require guy wires for stability, so
if this tower is constructed it will be a hazard to birds.
     Under FCC and FAA Regulations such a tower is REQUIRED to be fitted at
night with a red beacon and OB lights, and with a strobe light at the top o=
the tower.
     The purpose of wilderness is to experience the solitude and challenge
that it provides and to learn from the experience, skills that we can put t=
use in our day to day life, as well as how to meet and prepare for the
circumstances that we are exposed to in undertaking such travel. Wilderness
gives us  an opportunity to escape from the land of concrete and steel cell
phones and iPods. Anyone who believes that the jarring sight of a lighted
cell tower doesn't rip one out of the wilderness and damage the wilderness
experience has little appreciation of wilderness.
     Nothing like the ringing of a cell phone at the campsite to
"compliment" the call of the loon.
     Furthermore I have not heard even anecdotal information that suggests
that cell phone access is statistically warranted for safe wilderness
travel, and we should all recall that in the BWCAW blowdown of just a few
years ago, no one was killed and the injured were promptly rescued without
cell phone communication.
     While it may sound logical that such a tower will give campers and
hikers better access to help in an emergency, if that was the purpose of th=
tower it would be an argument for populating the wilderness with such
towers. In fact that will only lead some wilderness travelers to a false
sense of security, and encourage others to undertake a trip they have not
prepared for.=20
     In any event the purpose of the tower is to better serve the local
resort and business community and over 90% of that can be accomplished with
a single 199 foot tower that doesn't require guy wires and is not visible i=
the wilderness or with two towers that would not be visible in the
wilderness and would provide better coverage than the single proposed 450
foot tower.
     On May 31 I returned from an 8 day canoe trip in the BWCAW-Quetico
which I led for 5 of my friends, my 39th such trip since my first 50 years
ago in 1961. On this trip we encountered 40 mph winds with gusts to 60 mph
on Basswood as we were returning. We waited 9 hours until it was safe to
paddle across the lake. The wilderness experience teaches that patience is
important to safe travel and a safe experience.

Bernard P. Friel
    =20
--=20
Bernard P. Friel
Member:
     North American Nature Photography Association
     American Society of Picture Professionals
     International Society of Aviation Photography
     The Explorers Club
Web Pages - http://www.wampy.com  ;
            http://www.wampy.com/bn   Owl Gallery
            http://www.wampy.com/bn2  Songbirds