MOU-RBA Archives

June 2011

From:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2011 07:37:16 -0600
The Bell's Vireo(s) by the Excel High Bridge Plant was (were) still
present and singing yesterday afternoon. Another birding friend was
able to hear and see them earlier in the day. I brought my husband
down there in the late afternoon, and despite his hearing loss, he was
able to hear the songs also.  That raises a point of discussion, one
that has surfaced before.

These birds are often hard to view, and I know many people might use
recordings to coax them into view. As recent discussions suggest, it
may be best for the birds to do this as little as possible, if at all,
with species like this during breeding season, that have enough
strikes against them in terms of habitat infringement. I'm hoping
anyone who goes to this site will consider that. As much as I ache to
get a good look, I'll be content to hear that unmistakable song---and
just keep watching for a glimpse from the sidelines. (Mu Fuse has no
speakers; I use earphones only, to check my song ID.)

Even, and especially, to find a nest or other evidence for the BBA, I
will not chase into the greenbelt. If the birds are pressed enough to
use this marginal area, it would be counter-productive to stress them
out with encroachment, no matter how well-intentioned.

Another consideration: while my presence these last couple of years
has never been challenged, it may be that entering the greenbelt with
optical equipment would cause power-plant personnel some
consternation. It would be helpful to be able to continue visiting
this site without interference.

Please don't take this message as a negative response to any
particular person's habits or choices; I'm just concerned about the
well-being of  these particular birds and their potential
vulnerability.
Linda Whyte