MOU-RBA Archives

June 2011

From:
Christopher Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2011 18:36:54 -0600
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the brief messages earlier--was hoping someone else was at the
park and could look up and see the kite. Anyway, while I was not able to
find the White-eyed Vireo at Lake Girard Park, I did find a 1st-summer
Mississippi Kite that gave excellent views. Below are some notes that I
entered into eBird and MOURC.

**VERY RARE. I wasn't having much luck finding the vireo, so I started
scanning for raptors, herons or other flyovers given the hot conditions. The
first raptor I saw was a first-summer MISSISSIPPI KITE! It was circling
slowly, perhaps 175 meters overhead and slightly to the east. It circled and
glided the entire time I watched it. It got within about 50 meters at it's
closest, when it dropped and caught something (dragonfly perhaps) and ate in
on the wing. It eventually drifted off to the north.

I immediately knew what it was by it's shape and flight style. It was
similar in shape to a Peregrine, but slightly narrower wings, narrower tail
and more fluid wingbeats. It's body appeared largely gray, pale head with
dark around the eyes (eye color not seen well). There may have been one or
two indistinct streaks on the lower belly and perhaps a bit of faint
smudging on undertail coverts, but the overall appearance of the body was
gray. The underside of the wings appeared darker with primaries appearing
brownish (worn and lighting). The tail had two distinct tail bands, at least
on the innermost rectrices; the outermost appeared uniform. Most of the
underwing coverts appeared mottled/streaked with buffy, but those nearest
the wings (greater primary and secondary coverts) appeared almost as a
darker band with pale tip. These feathers may have had pale centers, but it
was too far to be certain. Most of the time, and when the bird was distant
away, it appeared fairly uniform below, and could have been mistaken for an
adult were it not for the tail, rather worn (faded, not heavily abraded)
primaires and secondaries, and the "unkept/messy" look to the underwing
coverts. I did not see the upperparts well.

Best,
Chris Wood

eBird & Neotropical Birds Project Leader
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York
http://ebird.org
http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu