WEBSTANDARDS Archives

October 2011

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Chad Fennell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:05:12 -0500
I expect there is sill work to be done, but there was significant
effort in Drupal 7 (the current production release) to address
accessibility:

"Drupal 7 is designed to support the development of sites that comply
with WCAG 2.0 and ATAG 2.0. "
http://drupal.org/about/accessibility

The community also put a lot of effort into improving the overall UX
of Drupal (e.g. http://drupal.org/node/204667,
http://drupal.org/node/1166656), and I think the administrative
experience did improve quite a bit from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7.  And,
while there is definitely a learning curve, with Drupal, there is
always a way to customize interfaces, workflows, etc for your users
without having to resort to hacking core code.

If you're interested in exploring Drupal and getting deep feedback on
the developer experience, customizability of the software, specific
feedback on your workflow needs, etc, there is quite an active local
Drupal community that meets up a few times a month:
http://groups.drupal.org/twin-cities.  There's a meetup dedicated to
Drupal ecommerce, a general meetup and a hacker/coder meetup.  Come by
and chat with us over (free) beer and pizza.  Oh, we'll also be
holding another Drupalcamp at Keller Hall this May, as we did last
year (http://2011.tcdrupal.org/).

I'm also (always) happy to chat Drupal, so feel free to give me a call
with any questions that you might have.

Cheers,
Chad
Web Developer, University of Minnesota Libraries
612-626-4186