MOU-RBA Archives

November 2011

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2011 22:54:12 -0600
Actually the largest concentration of Red-headed Woodpeckers in the
state is at Cedar Creek Natural History Area in northern Anoka County.   If
it the mast is plentiful (ie. if there is a good acorn crop) the
woodpeckers will overwinter.  I have not yet heard what to expect this
winter.  Usually, the Cedar Creek Bog Christmas Bird Count reports the
highest number of these guys in the state and probably in the northern US.

Steve Weston

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Fr. Paul Kammen <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> I believe these wonderful birds nest there, but I haven't been down there
> this
> year. I'll give them a call on Monday, but was wondering if anyone has
> visited this
> state park recently. As far as I know, it's the only place where one can
> regularly
> see the red headed woodpecker, unless they are common in other areas of the
> Twin Cities. I took some photos a couple of years ago, but wanted to take
> some
> more closer-up. If anyone knows if they are still there, or where there
> might be
> some spots to find red-headed woodpeckers, I'd appreciate it. Too bad some
> of
> their habitat has been impacted and their numbers are down - I hope they
> are
> stabalizing and doing OK, they are a quite striking bird. I'm thinking
> with the
> leaves gone now might be a good time to head down on a decent day to view
> them.
>
> Thanks,
> Fr. Paul
>
> ----