MOU-RBA Archives

December 2011

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Refsnider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2011 18:38:38 -0700
Thanks to previous posts, at noon today we were able to refind the great
gray owl on Hwy. 18 in Aitkin County.  It was perched in a tree right
along the roadside ditch 2.8 miles east of Hwy. 169.  Previous posts had
noted it at 2.9 and 4.6 miles east of 169.

Our thanks to the folks who continue to post the locations of wintering
owls.  The great gray owl was a lifer for two members of our group, so
the previous posts were greatly appreciated.

Near that location on 18 we also observed 12-15 white-winged crossbills
(a lifer for one of us) and several common redpolls.

On the way back to the Cities we make a quick stop at Cedar Creek to
check on the red-headed woodpeckers reported by Steve Weston.  We easily
spotted 6-8 individuals from the public hiking trail from the parking
lot at the north end of Durant.  This, too, was a lifer for one of our
group.

A very good day of birding, due to the kindness of previous posters.
Thanks again.

Ron Refsnider
Coon Rapids