MOU-RBA Archives

December 2011

From:
Karl Bardon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Bardon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2011 13:59:52 -0700
Beginning at 9:43 this morning, I have been studying an apparent adult Glaucous-winged Gull at Canal Park, Duluth, St. Louis County. I say apparent because of the many complications inherent in identifying large gulls, especially this species. Since Glaucous-winged Gull forms hybrid swarms with multiple other species of gulls (including Glaucous, Western and Herring), where the majority of some local populations are actually hybrids, great must be taken when identifying this species out of range. For now I have posted a single photo on MOU recently seen, but will include a more in depth analysis on my pbase gull pages (www.pbase.com/karlbardon).

Karl Bardon
Duluth, MN