MOU-RBA Archives

December 2011

From:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:50:16 -0700
Yesterday afternoon I made a visit to Canal Park to do some gullwatching.
One Glaucous Gull provided gorgeous views among the many Herring Gulls! The
sun was at my back for the photos, and the Glaucous Gulls really host a
gorgeous and rich set of frosty coloration in their younger years.  As the
gulls flushed on their own, I picked out one adult Glaucous Gull mixed in
with the Herring Gulls.

A funny little series of photos (in order), of a Mallard going gull-watching
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291438
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291439
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291440
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291441

Glaucous Gull
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291443

Barrow's Goldeneye (adult male)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291437

Rock Pigeon
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291444

And a 3rd-cycle Herring Gull/sub-adult Herring Gull I believe. I was thrown
off initially by this bird's dark eyes and soft-mottled head & front side,
for the age of the bird. It is the gull on the left, in the photos below.
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291446
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291445
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291650
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291653
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/140291656

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Guided Birdwatching Trips and Bird photography
www.pbase.com/birdfedr