MOU-RBA Archives

January 2012

From:
Dedrick Benz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dedrick Benz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2012 09:11:01 -0700
Last night I noticed a report using the "Query Sightings Database" feature on the MOU website, and noticed that Paul Jantscher had a Barrow's Goldeneye in Winona County yesterday, 12/31 along the Mississippi River 1 mile s. of Minneiska.I relocated the bird this morning from Minneiska proper (50 yds beyond and to the right of the small island in front of Buck's Bar), and the bird was with a large flock of mostly Common Goldeneye (but also Scaup sp, Canvasback, Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser).  The flock flew up, circled (establishing itself in all 3 counties, including Buffalo County, WI), and landed substantially further in Wisconsin.
I also found an adult White-winged Scoter, that I believe was in WI waters the entire time.
Dedrick BenzWinona, MN