MOU-RBA Archives

January 2012

From:
Tanya Beyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tanya Beyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2012 18:43:14 -0700
No great surprise but still worth a long pause along Hwy. 2 about a mile
south of Louie's Rd. (between Greenwood Lake & Louie's Rd.) to see this
male grouse (tetras du nord, to the birders north and east of us) as he
gobbled up sand along the opposite shoulder. As I was out there on a
spruce-grouse project the sighting seemed especially to fit within the day.
He was watchful, standing to regain his composure after two oncoming cars
slowed and passed between us. I wished I had another person along, a new
birder, whose thrill would be like my own the first time I ever encountered
this long-sought northwoods bird.

Recently a friend in this category was riding with me along Hwys. 2 and 1
and was able to experience the sound of a grouse, invisible in deep
undercover, bursting into flight. He had never heard this telltale sound
before and needed an explanation. Somewhat later I read in a bird book,
Sibley I think, that ruffed grouse have that whirring take-off sound, but
now, since I've never spooked a spruce grouse while I was walking, if
spruce grouse make a silent getaway for the most part so that winged
explosion in our region would have to mean ruffed grouse.

*Tanya Beyer Barcikowski - d.b.a. Epiphanies Afield, Natural History Art
from the North American heartland
*

See and order note cards, frameable prints and original art at:
http://epiphanies-afield.com/default.aspx✎

or:
http://www.etsy.com/search/shops?search_query=FrameableNoteCards&search_submit=&search_type=shops
 Get a signature like this.