MOU-RBA Archives

January 2012

From:
Jason Caddy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Caddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:11:13 -0700
I went out with Paul Ogren yesterday and we first went to Wild River State Park and I spotted the Carolina Wren immediately at the visitors center on the down hill slope next to the feeders. It then disappeared for a bit and came back and exhibited some fun behavior by skulking in a dense patch of dried leaves high up in a tree and then exploring inside of some crevices and holes in the tree trunks nearby. After hanging out far about 20 minutes it disappeared again and did not return before we left. I love the shortened version C. Wren because my daughters first name is Caitlin and middle name Wren (after the bird of course:)) and sometimes people call her C Wren. We did not find the Northern Shrike reported earlier but there was a Trumpeter Swan in with many Canada Geese on the river. We then went down to the Varied Thrush on 17774 blackbird trail and the homeowner Richard was outside to greet us. There were many A. Tree Sparrows and D.E. Juncos around and the thrush did make a brief but very exciting appearance. We then tried very quickly for the Townsend's Solitaire at the Carpenter Nature Center and found to woods to be about as silent as the outdoors can sound but I had seen this bird previously. Overall a very warm and successful January day. Good Birding,   Jason Caddy, Minneapolis