MOU-RBA Archives

January 2012

From:
Terence Brashear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terence Brashear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2012 19:38:12 -0700
Jon Swanson and I went down looking for the Varied Thrush near Hastings, MN and we were able to quickly find it.  It was present from when we arrived at 8:30AM till we left two hours later.  The home owner is so gracious, came out to talk with us and told us where to look for the bird.  Might be nice to bring along some bird seed if you visit since he was talking about how much seed he goes through each week.  By the way, someone left their Sibley Bird Guide there when they visited.  If you are missing it he hung onto it for you.

http://www.naturepixels.com/IMG_0011.jpg

http://www.naturepixels.com/IMG_0122.jpg

http://www.naturepixels.com/IMG_0159.jpg

http://www.naturepixels.com/IMG_0185.jpg

http://www.naturepixels.com/IMG_0218.jpg

We went looking for the Townsend's Solitaire at Carpenter Nature Center.  We were told by the person at the visitor's center it had not been seen recently.  I think I know why.  Most of the mature cedars along the trail where it was being seen had been cut down and were piled up.  Other trees had been cut too and were being shredded by a wood chipper while were there. I am sure there is a good reason for the thinning out of the trees, but we were disappointed after hiking down there.

Regards,

Terry

Terry Brashear
Hennepin County, MN