MOU-RBA Archives

March 2012

From:
John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2012 11:19:57 -0700
I startled an American Woodcock this morning along the western shore of Rapids Lake.  In addition to other migrants, I refound 1 Yellow-rumped Warbler.   The normally reliable overwintering Swamp Sparrow was not cooperative.   I last saw him on March 1.   Also on March 1, I saw my FOY Song Sparrow along the shore of Rapids Lake and likely refound a Golden-crowned Kinglet.  All waterfowl seen today were either flyovers or in the Minnesota River.   Many ducks were just landing on the river when I was there.

March 6 Rapids Lake MVNWR count

Cackling Goose 1 (flyover calling)
Canada Goose 235 (multiple flocks flying all directions, some flocks flying in circles)
Trumpeter Swan 13
Wood Duck 1
Mallard 85 (2/3 in Minnesota River near Rapids Lake, additional flock of ~40 unidentified smaller ducks seen flying, ~10 distant small ducks in the river)
Northern Pintail 1 (male flyover)
Ring-necked Duck 4
Common Goldeneye 20
Hooded Merganser 21 (15 male, 6 female)
Wild Turkey many
Bald Eagle 4 (One adult dove at a Hooded Merganser on the Minnesota River, but the merganser dove underwater before the eagle could catch it.)
Cooper's Hawk 1 (male)
American Woodcock 1
Ring-billed Gull 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Downy Woodpecker 3
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Pilieated Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay
American Crow
Horned Lark 4
Black-capped Chickadee 15
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
Eastern Bluebird 1
American Robin 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
American Tree Sparrow 2
Dark-eyed Junco 1 (decrease in these and Tree Sparrows compared to just a few days ago)
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird 48 (flock of ~40, 5, and 3)
Rusty Blackbird 1
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
American Goldfinch 3