MOU-RBA Archives

March 2012

From:
Jim Lind <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:35:04 -0600
This morning Kim Eckert, Mike Steffes and I unsuccessfully searched
for the Purple Sandpiper that was photographed by Heidi Pinkerton at
Split Rock Lighthouse State Park on March 17th.  Conditions were
drizzly and a bit foggy and there is obviously a lot of potential
habitat in this area, so it is possible the bird is still around.  We
also checked the mouth of the Split Rock River at the Highway 61 rest
stop and at the Twin Points boat launch about a mile south of the
park.

The exact location of Heidi's sighting was at the base of the small
island just to the southwest of the lighthouse.  To reach this spot
take the first right (not the service road) after driving by the park
fee station and drive about a half mile to the parking lot at the end
of the paved road.  Follow the hiking path that heads northeast
towards the lake.  This path comes out an a beach and you can see the
island from here.  The island is connected to the mainland by a strip
of rocks.

Jim Lind
Two Harbors