MOU-RBA Archives

March 2012

From:
"Williams, David A" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Williams, David A
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2012 18:51:07 -0700
The Snowy Owl was present around 4 pm today at the intersection of Houston County Rd. 3 and Cork Hollow Dr. This is not the Cork Hollow in the valley just outside Brownsville, but the one up on the ridge.
A gentleman from La Crosse (Mr. O'Brien?) had it in his scope when I arrived. The bird was perched on a low fence, somewhat hidden in vines and bushes growing along the fence line. This fence is directly across from Cork Hollow Dr. and between the two farm driveways. The bird did not seem bothered by the traffic on Co. 3, which can be busy at times. Nor was it bothered when buzzed by a Kestral. One of the homeowners stopped by when I was there and was delighted to see the owl! He said he had not seen it previously, but knew some had seen a Snowy earlier in the winter season.
Andy Nyhus called about an hour later to report he found the owl hunting (successfully) in the ditch along the road.
This is the same area where the Hockema brothers, Nyhus, and others observed a Snowy Owl back around Thanksgiving, if I remember correctly.

Dave Williams
Winona