MOU-RBA Archives

April 2012

From:
CRAIG MANDEL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CRAIG MANDEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2012 23:32:10 -0600
April 8, 2012 After enjoying watching the Brown Pelican feast on fish for about 45 minutes and then settle in for a nap on his resting post, I decided to check out some of the shorebird spots in Washington county.  Thanks go out to Terry for forwarding the info from the fishing web page and for sharing some of his photo's.  Also for anyone interested, from talking with someone who has a boat in the area.  They first saw the bird, last Thursday by there boat house.  But where pretty casual birders, so did not know how unusual of a sighting it was in Minnesota.  So with some luck it will stick around for a while.   In Washington county, there were 13 Greater Yellowlegs in the small flooded pond, that Larry posted about on the 3rd.  There were also 7 Great Egrets, there as well. I also checked a number of other potential locations for shorebirds in Washington county, with limited success.  I found a few Killdeers and at the small wetland along Hudson Drive South, just East of Cotton Grove Road, I found a small flock of Rusty Blackbirds. Craig Mandel, Minnetonka, Hennepin County, MN