MOU-RBA Archives

May 2012

From:
Steve Bachman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Bachman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2012 14:09:06 -0600
My wife and I visited Veteran's Memorial Park in Richfield, and found the singing Connecticut Warbler first reported (I believe) by Scott Meyer. This bird was singing quite loudly near the SE corner of the park. We heard and located the bird shortly before noon, and it took us about 15 minutes to see it ten feet up in scrubby trees at the west edge of a small pond just north of 66th (where a small Linder's nursery is set up in a parking lot).  We saw a Northern Waterthrush in the same spot.

Lots of singing warblers, vireos, and orioles, but we found nothing else remarkable in the park.  We did not see the Snowy Egret or the tanagers.

Far overhead, though, we saw three soaring Brown Pelicans. This would've been at around 10:30 AM.  They were south of the park and were heading south.  During the short time they soared above (and somewhat south of) us, we could see their unmistakable shape and bill.  From below they appeared uniformly dark, except around their heads, where we could see varying flashes of white as they soared and turned.

Steve Bachman and Joann Pfeiffer