MOU-RBA Archives

June 2012

From:
Frank Gosiak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank Gosiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2012 21:56:46 -0600
I went to Felton Prairie this morning and arrived to find Doug K. and
Steve M. They were staring up at the sky and I knew what they were
looking at. After looking up and getting a stiff neck, I noticed as Doug did,
there were two birds flying and both appeared to have the same
movement. I left there and we later hooked up when I noticed a strange
looking bird. After talking to Steve I ascertained it was a juvenile Chestnut
Collared Longspur (first Chestnuts I have seen). Doug was further South
and motioned to us that he found a group who were probably in a nesting
area. My nearest estimate was there were probably a little less than a
dozen birds. The location is about 3/4 mile North of the Sprague's Pipit
(which was by the North end of the wind generator). Also, there were a
number of Marbled Godwits in the area with Bobolinks and Dicksissles. It
was hard to focus at times with the many, many, Grasshopper Sparrows
calling. Earlier I found two Upland Sandpipers and a lone LeConte's
Sparrow. The Uplands were North where the minimum maintenance road
joined County 108. The LeConte's was West of the end of County 108.
Take the first minimum maintenance road heading South. Then the first
maintenance road heading East again. It was back in the lowland grass
area along the road on the South side. Two Minnesota lifers and 4 first of
the year birds, plus, some good fellowship with a number of birders. My
day was full and I was happy on the return trip. What a good way to
spend a day.