]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  June 2012

MOU-RBA June 2012

[mou-net] Xcel prairie restoration: good news in 3s (Dickcissels, Bell's Vireos, N.. Mockingbird)(long)

linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>

linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Jun 2012 15:01:59 -0600

Actually, good news in 4s and 5s:

The Peregrine Falcon hanging out the past few days on a 13th -floor balcony
in downtown St. Paul did NOT need rescuing; it flew away just fine last
evening, at the prospect of being captured. The rehabilitated juvenile
Peregrine from the High Bridge was returned there this morning and released
without incident, with a little toss-up from a tall brick wall; it lofted
easily and was met by one of its parents.

In trying to follow their reunion, I chanced to meet a woman who seemed to
be doing a plant survey (turned out she was inspecting the retaining wall).
I expressed delight with Xcel's nearby prairie plantings and discovered she
works for Xcel and has connection to the landscapers in charge of the
restoration. Furthermore, she works for the plant manager who got me onto
the Xcel property last year, for the Bell's Vireo search. I had started the
job of contacting him for this year's tour, but she was able to short-cut
the process, and give me the tour today.

While she was making arrangements, I checked on the Dickcissels by viewing
them through the parking-lot fence of the new dog park. I was listening
too, to the Spotted Sandpipers in the holding pond; a juvenile was seen at
the road side further west last week. That's when I heard the distinctive
call of the Bell's Vireos, in the row of small trees and shrubs at the back
(north side) of the prairie, close to the fence. It sounded two more times,
before I headed over to meet Sheryl at the main gate---and that's when
there was more good news.

In one of the small trees planted by the parking lot, there was a N.
Mockingbird. The flashes of white on gray caught my eye as it flew to the
power stanchion just on the west side of the main security gate, then down
onto the concrete retaining wall below the stanchion, seeming very
interested in the shrubs there. It perched awhile, inspecting, and flicking
its tail. If it elects to stay, it should be audible and may be visible
from the public road, though it didn't vocalize at the time. Sheryl then
drove me on the road that skirts the prairie, and there were at least 6 to
8 Dickcissels singing on territory. We spotted the female of the pair that
is closest to the entry of the dog-park parking lot.

Good birding, and Happy Solstice---Linda Whyte

Good birding and