]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  June 2012

MOU-RBA June 2012

[mou-net] Jackson county: Blue Grosbeaks, Henslow's Sparrow - Watonwan county: Bell's Vireo, etc...

William Marengo <[log in to unmask]>

William Marengo <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 24 Jun 2012 18:09:29 -0600

I spent Friday evening through Sunday afternoon with Esther Gesick and Paul
Egeland surveying some breeding bird territories in Jackson and Watonwan
counties. We came up with the following birds of interest:

A singing Bell's Vireo was heard on the south side of Watonwan county road
1, about 1.3 miles west of county road 18.  This is just south of Wood Lake.
The bird was heard Friday evening about 8:00pm. Note that we revisited this
spot on Sunday around noon and we could not hear the bird again.

A Henslow's Sparrow was seen & heard from a grassland area on Saturday
morning just west of the Cotton-Jack State Wildlife Management Area. This is
northwest of the town of Heron Lake. From the north side of the Cotton-Jack
State Wildlife Management Area, drive west on 440th street about .5 miles
until you come to 340th Ave.  The bird was in south-west part of this
intersection.

We also located two Blue Grosbeaks today. The first was signing from the
shoulder along the I-90 and Hwy 71 intersection in Jackson.  The bird could
be seen conveniently by looking north from the parking lot of the Embers
restaurant, which is just south of the interstate and on the west side of
Hwy  71.  The second Blue Grosbeak was signing along the west side of Hwy 71
at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses just south of Jackson. I do not
have exact distances, but I don't believe this was more than 3-5 miles south
of Jackson.

Also of note, an out-of-place Lark Sparrow was just south of the Jehovah's
Witnesses building.

Several Willow Flycatchers were found in the vicinity of Skunk Lake in the
southwest part of Jackson county just a couple of miles north of the Iowa
border.

Dickcissels were everywhere.

Absent were Swainson's Hawk, Upland Sandpipers, Western Kingbirds and
cuckoos.

Regards,,,,,,