]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  June 2012

MOU-RBA June 2012

[mou-net] Sax-Zim Bog today - Great Gray Owl & many other birds (photos & sightings)

Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>

Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Jun 2012 21:25:09 -0600

Early this morning I met up with my friends & fellow Duluth birdwatchers
Allen and Kim Lokken to guide them around Sax-Zim Bog. We arrived in
Sax-Zim a few minutes to 4am, to try our best for Yellow Rail. No such luck
for the little buggers. I've never seen or heard a Yellow Rail before, but
despite the extra tricky challenge of finding one, we were treated to some
amazing views and truly awesome finds while out in the bog today. From
watching a Great Gray Owl for nearly two minutes, to hearing several
Connecticut Warblers sing their hearts out, it was a fun day to be outside.
We had a coyote cross the road at one point, and also got great looks at a
stunning male Mourning Warbler singing atop a branch. The Dickcissel near
Hwy 7 & Sax Road is still being seen.

eBird list from today is below

I soaked up a few moments from today, and wanted to share them with you.
Enjoy.

Sunrise shots
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/144357156
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/144357160

Great Gray Owl
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/144357145
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/144357144
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/144357147

Wilson's Snipe
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/144357154

Lincoln's Sparrow
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/144357152

Brewer's Blackbird
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/144357151

Black-billed Cuckoo
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/144357149

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Birding Tours and Bird photography
www.pbase.com/birdfedr