MOU-RBA Archives

July 2012

From:
Doug Kieser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Kieser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2012 22:04:53 -0600
Scott Meyer and I travelled to Otter Tail and Grant Counties today, hoping for some good shorebird viewing.  Our first stop was at the Neumann WPA in southern Otter Tail county where we were unsuccessful in relocating the Ruff which had been reported earlier in the week.  There were good numbers of shorebirds present, however.
There were hundreds of shorebirds at two draw-downs in northwestern Grant County. Dunbar Slough (90 acres) located within the Kube-Swift WMA (south side of 330th west of county 3) held around 400 shorebirds, including dozens of Stilt Sandpipers and Wilson's Phalaropes. The larger drawdown at Ash Lake (218 acres) northwest of Wendell held around 1000 birds, almost all Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpipers, and Least Sandpipers. A morning visit would be best for Ash Lake as a road travels along the east side, our viewing conditions were less than ideal at mid-afternoon.
We observed two Snowy Egrets on the other side of the county, one was on the rip-rap on the north side of highway 78 in the lake about a mile east of Erdahl, the second was in a pond on the east side of county highway 5 a mile north of 220th street, we had observed a Snowy Egret in this location just over a month ago as well.

Doug Kieser
Minneapolis

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.