MOU-RBA Archives

August 2012

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Alyssa DeRubeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2012 11:57:21 -0600
This morning, Craig Mandel, Alex Sundvall and I birded Crow-Hassan Park
Reserve near Rogers, Hennepin Co. We managed to find the following birds:

-Henslow's Sparrow: One male was singing away in one of the prairie areas
of the park. After several minutes of searching, we finally got great looks
at him through the spotting scope. The trail this was on was the main trail
that heads west out of the parking lot. It is the third prairie section off
of the trail; the bird was singing on the south side.

-Dickcissel: 1-2 birds were heard giving the "frrrp" call in the prairie
area just west of the parking lot. They were never seen, although I could
tell one was flying over. They didn't vocalize on the way back.

-Possible Acadian Flycatcher: We kept hearing an interesting call that,
when we listened to a recording of it, sounded similar to an Acadian
Flycatcher call note: a somewhat blurry and descending "peew." We never saw
the bird. On the way back, Craig thought that he even heard the song. It
was appropriate habitat; tall broadleaf trees near an edge, with some
pockets of water nearby. Has anyone else seen these birds here in the past?
This was the 1st or 2nd wooded area off of the main trail (same one that
brings you to the Henslow's Sparrow).

-Warbler species (migrants only, each represented by a single bird):
Canada, Black-and-white, Blackburnian, Yellow.

Other expected birds seen include Northern Harrier, Trumpeter Swan, Sedge
Wren, Scarlet Tanager, Baltimore Oriole, Eastern Bluebird, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and Field Sparrow.

Lastly, I made a 15-minute attempt to relocate the Dickcissel family
reported earlier at General Mills Nature Preserve in Golden Valley,
Hennepin County, at 12:20pm. I found no sign of the birds. Last night I saw
a Black-crowned Night Heron at the Louisiana/Laurel Avenue pond (farthest
west pond).

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Golden Valley, Hennepin Co.