MOU-RBA Archives

October 2012

From:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 16:07:38 -0600
Thank you to all who posted these sightings. At 2:30 the Clark's Nutcracker
was still actively foraging on the N. side of CR 1 just at,  and just west,
of its intersection with St. Alban's St. At first it had been  hunting
insects in the grass right at the intersection to the east, across from the
bus-stop on the corner. It then flew into the row of trees on the NW border
of that intersection, reappearing in one of the conifers there.

In a few minutes, it took position on a short post in the open grassy area,
peering down and then diving for food. After a while it flew directly
across that intersection, heading west right over our heads in the
direction of St. Alban's. It landed on the telephone pole and resumed its
peering and diving.

At one point it had came within a few yards of us,  seemingly unconcerned
about our presence. It worked its way west along either side of the bike
path there, once or twice taking up a perch on post or tree, but always
returning to the ground to snatch up food with a dive and a hop. When we
departed, the bird had been feeding within a few feet of someone getting
photos, hunting directly in his shadow.

During the half hour or so that we were there, a flock of @ 30 Red
Crossbills flew over the same intersection, heading NE, possibly the same
flock Bob Dunlap saw heading south earlier. That was the cherry on the
sundae--- lifers, on top of a second and far superior look at a bird I'd
seen only from a distance in Glacier Park. This was a much more impressive
bird in size (and beak!) than I'd imagined.

Linda Whyte