MOU-RBA Archives

November 2012

From:
Conny Brunell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Conny Brunell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2012 19:05:25 -0700
On Lake Harriet in Minneapolis, Hennepin County shortly before sunset I observed a adult Lesser Black-backed Gull, and a first cycle Glaucous Gull.  I thought the LBBG would be the highlight of the evening until my scope captured that stocky pale buffy first cycle Glaucous larger than the surrounding Herrings.  It had small dark irides, and a long bi-colored bill fleshy pink at the base with a complete solid black tip.  As the light slowly disappeared I was still able to enjoy the GLGU packed into the huddle looking like a ghost as those very pale primaries glistened as they captured the last of the fading light.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Co.