MOU-RBA Archives

November 2012

From:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:21:19 -0700
Hi everyone,  Gene Bauer and I birded around Rice County for a couple of hours this afternoon and our first stop was Maple Lawn Cemetery in Faribault. The first bird I spotted was perched about 30 feet above our heads and I wondered what it could be as it was so white. Getting on it, I saw it was a redpoll and I immediately looked at the vent area which had no markings at all. I also noticed the streaking on the flanks was much fainter, and had absolutely none of the dirty wash that Common Redpolls have. Gene commented on how white the facial area and cheeks were. We viewed the bird for about 40 seconds before it flew off with a group of Common Redpolls. This bird was considerably more white than the rest of the group in flight.   Also of note was a Golden-crowned Kinglet, which I get overwintering here usually. Good birding! Dave BartkeyFaribault,MN