MOU-RBA Archives

November 2012

From:
Alyssa DeRubeis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alyssa DeRubeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2012 17:05:20 -0700
I was pleasantly surprised to be visited by a flock of four redpolls while
hiking in Crow-Hassan Park Reserve (near Rogers). I only had time to look
at the closest bird to me, which happened to have a noticeably short and
stubby bill, limited streaks on the side, and no markings on its undertail
coverts. I managed to get one lousy photo where you can clearly see the
bill, sides, and a little bit of the undertail coverts. I just uploaded the
photo on to MOU's "Recently Seen" page:
http://www.moumn.org/cgi-bin/recent.pl.

The flock landed in a small tree around 3:50pm and only stayed for 20
seconds or so before flying off again. This was on Trail 11, and the tree
was approximately 200 feet east of the Trail 11 and 12 intersection. The
flock flew in from the north and flew northward again when I last saw them.

The only other birds of note were ~30 Trumpeter Swans in the area, hundreds
of Canada Geese, and a pair of scaup (species unknown) on Lake Sylvan.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Golden Valley, Hennepin Co.