MOU-RBA Archives

December 2012

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Herb Dingmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:50:50 -0700
Yesterday during the St. Cloud-Collegeville CBC, a Hoary Redpoll was
reported among a large flock of Common Redpolls just west of the
intersection of CR2 and 270th St.  This is mid-way between St. Joseph and
Cold Spring just inside the count circle.  Today around 12:30 I located a
Hoary Redpoll along CR2 just north of this intersection, but in a smaller
flock of 60 or so Common Redpolls.

Later in the afternoon I came across a Short-eared Owl hunting along 385th
Ave between 350th and 360th St.  This location is southwest of Melrose.
This was a somewhat odd location - mostly bare fields - but there is WMA at
the intersection of 385th Ave. and 360th St. that it may be roosting at.  I
did not get the impression that it was migrating because it drifted off to
the northeast.

Herb Dingmann
St. Cloud