Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  December 2012

MOU-RBA December 2012

[mou-net] California Gull / Sax-Zim Bog

Michael Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>

Michael Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Dec 2012 19:25:26 -0700

Later in the afternoo
I was out guiding a photographer from Wisconsin.

Later in the afternoon we met up with Larry & Jan Kraemer at Canal Park.  While scanning the gulls on the break wall I noticed a smaller gull with a pale bluish/greenish bill with a clean black tip. The gull was in a 2nd cycle plumage and informed Larry & Jan that I believe I am looking at a 2nd cycle non-breeding plumage California Gull.  Larry and I took some photos of the gull to document the bird and I pleased the gull was standing next to two Herring Gulls for comparison.  I text all the local birders I knew who have text messaging on their cell phones to inform them of the sighting.

Sax-Zim Bog Highlights:

-3 Boreal Chickadees at the Admiral Rd Feeders
-6 Gray Jays at Admiral Rd Feeders
-10 Common Redpolls at Admiral Rd Feeders

-3 Hoary Redpolls at Admiral Rd Feeders
-3 Pine Grosbeaks at Admiral Rd Feeders
-5 White-winged Crossbills flying overhead at the Admiral Rd Feeders
-1 Brown Creeper at the Admiral Rd Feeders
-15 Evening Grosbeaks at Friends of Sax-Zim Bog Feeders
-20 Evening Grosbeaks at Blue Spruce Rd Feeders

Bong Airport Superior, WI
- 1 immature female Snowy Owl.

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota