MOU-RBA Archives

January 2013

From:
Shawn Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2013 16:28:12 -0700
My wife Kari and I kicked off my Big Half Year for the Bog (Itasca County
only) today by looking for some winter specialties.

Overall, birding was pretty slow and we missed easy birds like Common
Redpoll and Downy Woodpecker, but we did have some highlights among our 26
species:

- A Boreal Chickadee and a small flock of White-winged Crossbills on the
trail that cuts through the bog on the north end of Scenic State Park.
These were the ONLY birds we saw or heard on our entire hike!

- Varied Thrush still at my house.

Other good finds were Ruffed Grouse, Rough-legged Hawk, Great Horned Owl,
Red-bellied Woodpecker, Northern Shrike, Gray Jay, Black-billed Magpie, and
Pine Grosbeak.

--
Shawn Conrad
Sponsor <http://bighalfyear.dojiggy.com/itasca> my Big Half Year for the Bog