MOU-RBA Archives

February 2013

From:
Steve Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:32:39 -0700
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:06:05 -0600, Bill Tefft <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Steve Wilson who collected boreal owls while working for the MN DNR in past
>years of boreal starvation, has contacted the Univ. of MN, the DNR Wildlife
>Office; and the Chicago Field Museum.  Although Steve is now retired, his
>inquiry led to the information that our area manager in Tower, MN is
>accepting owls that are turned and they will then be delivered to the Field
>Museum.
>
>If you find an owl, record accurate time and place information, put it in a
>sealed plastic bag, and keep it frozen.  Then deliver it to Tom Rusch, our
>local wildlife manager, in the Tower, DNR Wildlife office.  The collected
>birds will then be picked up for delivery to the Field Museum.  The birds
>are being taken to that location, because of the museum's ability and
>interest in processing these birds.
>
>I would imagine that other area wildlife offices would provide the same
>service.
>
>Bill Tefft
>Ely, MN

Bill is correct. All DNR Wildlife offices in NE MN (Grand Marais, Two Harbors,
Duluth, Cloquet, Aitkin, Eveleth, Tower, I. Falls, Orr, Grand Rapids) have been
alerted to the situation and are accepting boreal and northern saw-whet owl
carcases. DNR Wildlife officies in other parts of the state did the same in past
irruptions, and should accept birds, as well. Along with date and location
information, please be sure to include the name and contact information of the
finder on the label, in case researchers have follow-up questions.